It's been a very good minute since I did a post and I should do more hair posts.
This one is going to be focused on the Black Hair Community.
Now, The Black Community itself can be a head shaker, as well as a rejoicing at the same time and reminds you why you love your people to begin with. Though some things I just cannot get over and one of those is how the Black Hair Community, which is suppose to be very unifying can also get at people emotionally, especially when it comes to Hair, on a negative.
My hair for instance as you see is Blonde. It's not a Honey Blonde, it is lighter than Honey Blonde. Outside pictures are better to show the color (also a room that was lighted, not with black curtains would as well). Though none-the-less you see the Blonde. You cannot miss it. Let me tell you how much the Black Community goes against Black folks with Blonde hair when it comes to their own hair. And if you're Natural they really discourage you.
The very first thing that will be said is "YOU WILL DAMAGE YOUR HAIR BEYOND REPAIR." Okay first of all:
Yes, you will Damage your hair, but not beyond repair. Or you would not have any hair shortly after. Another would be "NEVER DYE YOUR HAIR YOURSELF OR IT WILL FALL OUT." This is also one of those "Please take a seat" moments. Now, while yes if you have no knowledge on coloring at all I would go and get my hair professionally done, though I'm sure there are some who have researched and dabbled in color to know what to do for the most part. I Bleach my hair myself. I am not a Hair Stylist. I am a Computer Nerd who knows how to read. I first bleached my hair back in February/March this year. It's been 7-8 months and it's still thriving, growing and my curls were not loss. I used a combination throughout the months of both Powder Bleach to lift the color and Ion Brilliant Blondes 10G for coloring. Last Bleaching I used Level 40 Developer (which is a HUGE no-no, or so the comments will say without professional help) with the color.
People are people. As people there are so many colors, so many hairstyles and designs out in the world yet people get so use to the 'Norm' that they are use to that when something changes it throws them off. Instead of just taking the change, they bash that person.
"Oh that color is horrible! Who was your stylist? They lied to you!" "You should never wear that!" "What the hell were you thinking!"
I didn't know you were getting paid RIGHT NOW to tell me how I should have my hair or how that person should have their hair because I know I damn sure ain't being paid to listen!
There is nothing wrong with giving opinion and advice, but when it's requested. Keep your opinion and how your dis-taste for THEIR personal style choices to YOURSELF! Remember, you're not the one with the Platinum Blonde hair or the Red lips with Blue Eye Shadow. That is not you. If they wearing that like they own it then damn let them own it! I do not care about skin tone. I don't. I am not going to sit here and be like "Oh yeah that shade of Red is just not you!" If YOU like it, who am I to stomp all over your happiness?
Do not let opinions of others dictate your own sound of mind and reason.
*********
As the BHC we should help each other in hair care as well as a persons individuality. Hair is a way of self expression. Who wants to have the same color of hair all the time? I know I don't.

No comments:
Post a Comment